1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hilux 4wd issues

Discussion in 'Auto Modifications Section' started by nirtime, Nov 18, 2014.

1. nirtime

nirtime Active Member

Hi everyone, I have an '08 Hilux SR5 with ADD. Everytime i try shifting from h2 to h4 i am met with a lot of resistance. The van is an automatic and I dont understand what is causing the problem.

The 4wd lever just refuses to move. Sometimes if i just start the van and put it in neutral or even drive the 4wd works as it should and the 4wd light comes on the dashboard and the lever moves freely.
    However after driving for some time it does not engage. Even if the shifter itself moves from H2 to H4 the light does not come on the dashboard.

What may be some possible reasons as to why this is happening? The manual clearly states that once travelling under 80kmh shifting through the high range is no problem.

Update: A bit of research may point to the front diff actuator ceasing up but does not account for the lever resistance.

Update 2: THere was absolutely no problem with the system, it was a lack of knowledge and understanding... The manual did not help much.

#1 nirtime, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

3. nirtime

nirtime Active Member

The actuator tends to go bad for the ADD if its not used. In my case I was new to the vehicle and didn't fully understand how the system worked lol. We gotta start somewhere.

4. grimreaper009

grimreaper009 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yea I heard so but I think is a common tho g with people with 4wd should do is to use it at least once for the month hear a lot of complaints like u said with the ceasing up

5. nirtime

nirtime Active Member

The manual says the system needs to be ran for 16km a month to lubricate it and prevent the actuator from ceasing up. I does try to follow it but that means 24/7 muddy wheel wells lmao

• About Us

TriniFans is the original Trinidad and Tobago Entertainment forum (Trini forum) featuring online discussions on a wide range of topics.
  • Like us on Facebook

follow us on facebook
  • Buy us a beer!

Have a Question / Issue / Report a Problem ? Then be free to contact us today!.

Click To Contact Us!