• User Menu
  • LoginRegister

Username:

Password:

Trinidad in the old time days, Pictures included

Share in the discussions on movies, music, books, poetry, short stories and the like.

Trinidad in the old time days, Pictures included

Postby admin » 10 Jul 2009 15:11

Have you ever seen Trinidad when their were trains and when the country was still ruled by England, i'm placing up some pictures of the old times days in Trindad so please share you comments
POS Where Hyatt Hotel is presently
Independence Sq-Frederick St POS - where Excellent Stores is presently
Four Roads Diego Martin
Round de Savannah
Inside Queen's Park Savannah
St. Anns
admin
Hokage
Hokage

Re: Trinidad in the old time days, Pictures included

Postby Wyspa » 11 Jul 2009 21:05

Hey surprising no-one has posted anything on this thread before. I've always been curious about Trinidad back in those times. Where can I see more pictures like these?
Those darn aliens and their moon rock trade!!!
Wyspa
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby admin » 12 Jul 2009 18:24

I don't know its hard to see these kinda of pics its rare but maybe Any history museum
admin
Hokage
Hokage

Postby LadyDeathDemon » 12 Jul 2009 23:05

Look and there's the salmon tree by the savannah. i think its so amusing to see these wonderful sights evolve into how it is today. I wish we really had back the train system thou
Please Help Stop The Fighting Disease Of SPS (Skinny Pants Syndrome) Today !

Symptoms are Numbness In Legs, Irritation, Prostate Injuries and Inability to walk comfortably... Help cure this by spreading awareness to the world !
LadyDeathDemon
Hokage
Hokage

Postby Resha » 13 Jul 2009 07:49

de train looking like it have no windows....road looks so smooth.....and clean

I remember my father said he rode the train from Rio Claro /Tabaquite to POS.... It was kinda fast....Three hours
How do you hold on to someone you've never met?
Resha
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby Airman » 24 Jul 2009 01:40

Video of Trini back in 1932..(truly amazing) YouTube
Airman
Energized
Energized

Postby LadyDeathDemon » 24 Jul 2009 23:50

This goes to show you how long we had that salmon tree for. Its truly amazing to see these wondeful sights. it does just go to show you how technology have developed and how much we have developed

Symptoms are Numbness In Legs, Irritation, Prostate Injuries and Inability to walk comfortably... Help cure this by spreading awareness to the world !
LadyDeathDemon
Hokage
Hokage

Postby Vickie » 25 Jul 2009 16:12

Omg this is very kool to see. it have a book in the Port Of Spain Library with pictures from long ago and the bicycles and horse-carriers and wodden forts. its really kool to see yall must check it out
Vickie
Player To De Max
Player To De Max

Postby Resha » 04 Aug 2009 14:56

Knolly’s Tunnel ...Tabaquite’s hidden treasure
It was called the “Manicou Train”. The Trinidad Government Railways train that knitted urban communities like Port-of-Spain, San Fernando and Chaguanas to rural and agricultural communities like Tabaquite, Caparo, Brasso, Mamoral, Todds Road and Rio Claro. But, one of the most interesting features of the Jerningham Junction/Rio Claro line was the Knolly’s Tunnel at Tabaquite.

The tunnel was named after the then acting Colonial Governor of Trinidad and Tobago, Courtney Knolly, who officially opened the new system on August 20, 1898. It was an historic moment not only for the agricultural communities in the Tabaquite area, but for the people of the country as Trinidad and Tobago had become the home to the Caribbean’s longest tunnel.

The achives report that there was a great deal of pomp and ceremony and several dignitaries from Port-of-Spain were among the 220 people who witnessed the ceremonial opening which was conducted by Governor Kolly. The Tabaquite Railway Station was built just about quarter mile away. This line was closed down by this country’s first Prime Minister Dr Eric Williams on August 30, 1965, some 67 years after its official opening because it was not profitable. Now, the Couva/Tabaquite/ Talparo Regional Corporation (CTTRC) has begun a programme to have Knolly’s Tunnel proclaimed as one of the country’s historical sites.

Councillor Henry Awong, who is also president of the Tabaquite Community Council, said: “Knolly’s Tunnel remains dormant and it is a treasured piece of landscape that the Ministry of Tourism must give serious consideration to achieve some form of national and even international recognition.” Alderman Narinadath Maharaj, chairman of the Corporation’s Tourism Committee, said that his committee has asked the Ministry for $500,000 to restore the tunnel to its pristine glory. Chairman of the Corporation, Councillor Ranjit Ramnarine, pointed out that there are several historical sites and other structures which the CTTRC is giving serious consideration to gain national acknowledgment.

To get to the tunnel, one has to either take the Guararcara Tabaquite Road, or the Tabaquite Rio Claro Road in Tabaquite and turn into John Williams Trace, turn left on the first road and proceed until one reaches the tunnel. Visiting the tunnel, one gets an aura of nostalgia, a feeling of the past. The tunnel is in need of complete refurbishing and plans are afoot to give it a new polishing and upgrade it to become Central Trinidad’s premier tourism destination. Awong said: “It is a sad affair that the Government of the day continues to ignore natural historical sites as the Knolly’s Tunnel.

“Government can still update the Knolly’s Tunnel and make it a destination for all the Commonwealth Prime Ministers who will be attending the Conference. It is an ideal spot to host them in the Central part of the nation,” Ramnarine said. “The people of Tabaquite would certainly welcome this gesture to bring our distinguished foreign guests to come and taste a rural community’s hospitality and tranquility.” Image
How do you hold on to someone you've never met?
Resha
Post Whore
Post Whore

Postby LadyDeathDemon » 18 Aug 2009 22:10

Wow this thing is huge. i never knew that it had one in tabaquite. In longdenville it have many train tracks that you can see. I also have one whole street that still have the tracks and they people name it Train Line Street. My grandmother used to tell me stories of the long time days and with her memories it used to be so fascinating to listen to.

LadyDeathDemon
Hokage
Hokage

Next

Return to Arts and Trini Entertainment